Saturday, February 23, 2013

Japanese People are Helpful

So Adam departed yesterday for about a month at sea. To non-military people this sounds like a long time. To military people this doesn't even count as a deployment. This pales in comparison to the 9 months my friend went without her mate last year. Or the 15 months army spouses have routinely endured since 2003. Oy. However, it's the first one for me, so it is kind of a big deal, at least in my own head. It also marks the beginning of an almost nonstop in-and-out path Adam's ship will take over the next 6 months. The longest he will be gone at a time is 3 months, but prior to that there are 2 one-monthers with little time between.

ANYWAY, I have been dreading this for obvious reasons. I am terribly sad that he is gone, and I am also overwhelmed by the prospect of being the only parent in this house for that long. I spent part of yesterday crying and feeling sorry for myself. (Especially during my work-out group when I was cleaning up a pee accident with one kid while the other one apparently touched a girl's crotch as soon as my back was turned. Nice.)

However, I have also been looking forward to it in a way, and here's why: first, once they leave, you can go ahead and start counting down the days till they get back. Prior to that, it's all counting down till they leave, which is depressing. At least after they go you have something to look forward to. Also, the laundry gets cut in half! And I don't have to cook everyday, praise the lord! I guess what I am saying is that if I have to do it I better just go ahead and look at the bright side.

But, back to the last 2 days. OK, so yesterday I spent being mad, so this morning I decided to try to be a little more positive. First thing I did was take the kids outside to the beach to fly a kite I just bought on Amazon for them. We have seen a bunch of kids and parents flying kites on the beach, and I thought that would be something great I could do with the boys. Also, being outside wears them out, which is pretty much my goal for each and everyday of my life right now.

FAIL!

I guess the fact that the kite was $10 should have warned me, but I thought I was getting a deal so I plowed forward with my online order feeling smug that I have Amazon Prime and can get free shipping. (Thank you, mom April!) (Side note: Amazon is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread for me here. Whenever I can't find something at the commissary or I need something for the kids I can't find at the NEX or in town - Amazon. It has everything, and I don't pay for shipping. Rock.)

Long story short the kite would sort of flail around for a minute and then nose dive right away. I kept thinking I just needed to throw it higher or run faster right away, but no. Anthony kept saying, "We need dad to do this." To which I responded, "Yep." But kept trying anyway.


Finally, after about a dozen attempts, I noticed a Japanese man with a cute dog sort of lurking around the perimeter of where we were flailing about. He clearly knew what needed to be done, but I am sure he was afraid he might get hit with a kite or a flying limb. Finally, he came over and basically took the kite out of my hand and started doing stuff to the string and hooks and things.


He tried really hard to make it work, but he only partially succeeded.



Of course he pat the boys on the head and kindly said he was sorry he couldn't help. The boys bowed properly, and we all said, "Arigato" politely. And we did try a few more times after he left, but to no avail. Mostly I was just happy someone was kind enough to try to help, especially because we looked like lunatics doing interpretive dances all over the beach before he arrived.

Japanese people are really helpful in that way. If they see you looking lost they will come right up to you and offer assistance. I have also seen a lot of youngish kids walking grandmothers across the street, which is just sweet. It's reassuring. I feel like, even though I only know a few of my neighbors I could definitely ask them for help if I needed it. So, there's that.

Anyway, cheers to getting the first part of deployments over with!

3 comments:

  1. ummmmmm, i love that jackson is basically a few string of beads away from mardi gras with that super rad beach outfit of his...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're doing ok! Let's do a Skype date this week/weekend. Also, I find even well made kites to be pretty much impossible under the best of circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure wish this author would write more!

    ReplyDelete